Up to top level
AO15   AO16   AO17   AO18   AO19   Backgrounds   Calibration   Conference   Data   Docs   EPICMOS   EPICpn   Feedback   Gallery   Misc   OM   Pending   PhD_Theses   Publications   RGS   RadMonitor   SAS_Hardware   SAS_WS   SASv16.0   SASv16.0_Installation   SASv16.1   SASv16.1_Installation   SASv17.0   SASv17.0_Installation   SASv18.0   SASv18.0_Installation   SciSim   Simulators_other   Suggestions   Trash   Visibility   XMM-bouncing   XMM-news   XRPS   XSA   esas   incoming  

Logged in as guest

Viewing esas/48060
Full headers

From: Georgiana Ogrean <g.ogrean@jacobs-university.de>
Subject: Incorrect area with proton_scale
Compose reply
Download message
Move To:
2 replies: 1 2
1 followups: 1

Private message: yes  no

Notes:

Notification:


Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:07:42 +0200
Subject: Incorrect area with proton_scale
From: Georgiana Ogrean <g.ogrean@jacobs-university.de>
To: xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int
--0015174fed6cf9d27c04a621e778
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Dear Helpdesk,

I extracted a few spectra from manually-selected regions, and I am now
trying to fit them in XSPEC. I use proton_scale to calculate the area of
these regions. The problem I am having is that for a region of radius 1.22
arcmin (measured in ds9), proton_scale gives areas of 11-13 arcmin^2,
depending on the detector. This happens only for one of the regions, the
others work fine. I extracted a spectrum for this region using (for MOS 1):

&&((DETX,DETY) in circle(-417.2,1413.5,1499.81))

For a similar region, selected with:

&&((DETX,DETY) in circle(-1948.6,4318.8,1799.52))

I get an area of only 6.5 arcmin^2, which is about what I would expect.

None of these regions is partially on CCD 6 of MOS 1, and I have the same
issue for all detectors.

Any idea why this happens? I used exactly the same method and routines for
this region as for the others, the only thing different is the region
selection.

Thank you,
Georgiana

--0015174fed6cf9d27c04a621e778
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Dear Helpdesk,<br><br>I extracted a few spectra from
manually-selected regi=
ons, and I am now trying to fit them in XSPEC. I use proton_scale to calcul=
ate the area of these regions. The problem I am having is that for a region=
 of radius 1.22 arcmin (measured in ds9), proton_scale gives areas of 11-13=
 arcmin^2, depending on the detector. This happens only for one of the regi=
ons, the others work fine. I extracted a spectrum for this region using (fo=
r MOS 1):<br>
<br>&amp;&amp;((DETX,DETY) in
circle(-417.2,1413.5,1499.81))<br><br>For a s=
imilar region, selected with:<br><br>&amp;&amp;((DETX,DETY)
in circle(-1948=
.6,4318.8,1799.52))<br><br>I get an area of only 6.5 arcmin^2, which
is abo=
ut what I would expect.<br>
<br>None of these regions is partially on CCD 6 of MOS 1, and I have the
sa=
me issue for all detectors.<br><br>Any idea why this happens? I used
exactl=
y the same method and routines for this region as for the others, the only =
thing different is the region selection.<br>
<br>Thank you,<br>Georgiana<br>

--0015174fed6cf9d27c04a621e778--


Reply 1

Resend
From: Ignacio de la Calle <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
To: g.ogrean@jacobs-university.de
Subject: Re: Incorrect area with proton_scale (PR#48060)
Date: Mon Jun 20 13:53:48 2011
Dear Georgiana,

proton_scale reads the BACKSCAL keyword from the FITS header an
divides. If you can look at both the extraction expression in
the FITS header as well as the BACKSCAL keyword that would give
an indication as to where the problem lies. Is this for the same
obsid as previous problems ?

Regards,

Ignacio de la Calle
XMM-Newton SOC

> Dear Helpdesk,
> 
> I extracted a few spectra from manually-selected regions, and I am now
> trying to fit them in XSPEC. I use proton_scale to calculate the area of
> these regions. The problem I am having is that for a region of radius 1.22
> arcmin (measured in ds9), proton_scale gives areas of 11-13 arcmin^2,
> depending on the detector. This happens only for one of the regions, the
> others work fine. I extracted a spectrum for this region using (for MOS
1):
> 
> &&((DETX,DETY) in circle(-417.2,1413.5,1499.81))
> 
> For a similar region, selected with:
> 
> &&((DETX,DETY) in circle(-1948.6,4318.8,1799.52))
> 
> I get an area of only 6.5 arcmin^2, which is about what I would expect.
> 
> None of these regions is partially on CCD 6 of MOS 1, and I have the same
> issue for all detectors.
> 
> Any idea why this happens? I used exactly the same method and routines for
> this region as for the others, the only thing different is the region
> selection.
> 
> Thank you,
> Georgiana
> 
> --0015174fed6cf9d27c04a621e778
> Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
> 
> Dear Helpdesk,<br><br>I extracted a few spectra from
manually-selected regi=
> ons, and I am now trying to fit them in XSPEC. I use proton_scale to
calcul=
> ate the area of these regions. The problem I am having is that for a
region=
>  of radius 1.22 arcmin (measured in ds9), proton_scale gives areas of
11-13=
>  arcmin^2, depending on the detector. This happens only for one of the
regi=
> ons, the others work fine. I extracted a spectrum for this region using
(fo=
> r MOS 1):<br>
> <br>&&((DETX,DETY) in
circle(-417.2,1413.5,1499.81))<br><br>For a s=
> imilar region, selected with:<br><br>&&((DETX,DETY) in
circle(-1948=
> .6,4318.8,1799.52))<br><br>I get an area of only 6.5 arcmin^2,
which is abo=
> ut what I would expect.<br>
> <br>None of these regions is partially on CCD 6 of MOS 1, and I have
the sa=
> me issue for all detectors.<br><br>Any idea why this happens? I
used exactl=
> y the same method and routines for this region as for the others, the only
=
> thing different is the region selection.<br>
> <br>Thank you,<br>Georgiana<br>
> 
> --0015174fed6cf9d27c04a621e778--
> 
> 


Followup 1

Compose reply
Download message
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 14:57:15 +0200
Subject: Re: Incorrect area with proton_scale (PR#48060)
From: Georgiana Ogrean <g.ogrean@jacobs-university.de>
To: Ignacio de la Calle <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
--0023541869fc26950904a638642d
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Dear Ignacio,

Sorry, it was my mistake here. I renamed the wrong file, so was working with
a different region than I thought I was.

Georgiana


On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Ignacio de la Calle <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int
> wrote:

> Dear Georgiana,
>
> proton_scale reads the BACKSCAL keyword from the FITS header an
> divides. If you can look at both the extraction expression in
> the FITS header as well as the BACKSCAL keyword that would give
> an indication as to where the problem lies. Is this for the same
> obsid as previous problems ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ignacio de la Calle
> XMM-Newton SOC
>
> > Dear Helpdesk,
> >
> > I extracted a few spectra from manually-selected regions, and I am now
> > trying to fit them in XSPEC. I use proton_scale to calculate the area
of
> > these regions. The problem I am having is that for a region of radius
> 1.22
> > arcmin (measured in ds9), proton_scale gives areas of 11-13 arcmin^2,
> > depending on the detector. This happens only for one of the regions,
the
> > others work fine. I extracted a spectrum for this region using (for
MOS
> 1):
> >
> > &&((DETX,DETY) in circle(-417.2,1413.5,1499.81))
> >
> > For a similar region, selected with:
> >
> > &&((DETX,DETY) in circle(-1948.6,4318.8,1799.52))
> >
> > I get an area of only 6.5 arcmin^2, which is about what I would
expect.
> >
> > None of these regions is partially on CCD 6 of MOS 1, and I have the
same
> > issue for all detectors.
> >
> > Any idea why this happens? I used exactly the same method and routines
> for
> > this region as for the others, the only thing different is the region
> > selection.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Georgiana
> >
> > --0015174fed6cf9d27c04a621e778
> > Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
> > Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
> >
> > Dear Helpdesk,<br><br>I extracted a few spectra from
manually-selected
> regi=
> > ons, and I am now trying to fit them in XSPEC. I use proton_scale to
> calcul=
> > ate the area of these regions. The problem I am having is that for a
> region=
> >  of radius 1.22 arcmin (measured in ds9), proton_scale gives areas of
> 11-13=
> >  arcmin^2, depending on the detector. This happens only for one of the
> regi=
> > ons, the others work fine. I extracted a spectrum for this region
using
> (fo=
> > r MOS 1):<br>
> > <br>&&((DETX,DETY) in
circle(-417.2,1413.5,1499.81))<br><br>For a s=
> > imilar region, selected
with:<br><br>&&((DETX,DETY) in circle(-1948=
> > .6,4318.8,1799.52))<br><br>I get an area of only 6.5
arcmin^2, which is
> abo=
> > ut what I would expect.<br>
> > <br>None of these regions is partially on CCD 6 of MOS 1, and I
have the
> sa=
> > me issue for all detectors.<br><br>Any idea why this
happens? I used
> exactl=
> > y the same method and routines for this region as for the others, the
> only =
> > thing different is the region selection.<br>
> > <br>Thank you,<br>Georgiana<br>
> >
> > --0015174fed6cf9d27c04a621e778--
> >
> >
>
>
> ================================================================================================
> This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee
> or addressees only. The unauthorised disclosure,
>
> use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content
> is not permitted. If you received this message in
>
> error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Emails can
> be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by
>
> the sender.
>
> Please consider the environment before printing this email.
>
> =================================================================================================
>
>

--0023541869fc26950904a638642d
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Dear Ignacio,<br><br>Sorry, it was my mistake here. I renamed the
wrong fil=
e, so was working with a different region than I thought I
was.<br><br>Geor=
giana<br><br><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Jun
20, 2011 at 3:53 PM=
, Ignacio de la Calle <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a
href=3D"mailto:xmmhelp@sciop=
s.esa.int">xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int</a>&gt;</span>
wrote:<br>
<blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; borde=
r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-lef

Message of length 10311 truncated


Reply 2

Resend
From: Rosario Gonzalez Riestra <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
To: g.ogrean@jacobs-university.de
Subject: Re: Incorrect area with proton_scale (PR#48060)
Date: Thu Nov 24 10:33:13 2011
Dear Georgiana,

I have forwarded your question to our ESAS expert. He is now on mission, so most
likely it will take a few days to get his answer.

Regards

Rosario


Up to top level
AO15   AO16   AO17   AO18   AO19   Backgrounds   Calibration   Conference   Data   Docs   EPICMOS   EPICpn   Feedback   Gallery   Misc   OM   Pending   PhD_Theses   Publications   RGS   RadMonitor   SAS_Hardware   SAS_WS   SASv16.0   SASv16.0_Installation   SASv16.1   SASv16.1_Installation   SASv17.0   SASv17.0_Installation   SASv18.0   SASv18.0_Installation   SciSim   Simulators_other   Suggestions   Trash   Visibility   XMM-bouncing   XMM-news   XRPS   XSA   esas   incoming  

Logged in as guest


Please make your (short) question the subject of your request!


Web interface using JitterBug ... back to the XMM home page