Up to top level
AO15   AO16   AO17   AO18   AO19   Backgrounds   Calibration   Conference   Data   Docs   EPICMOS   EPICpn   Feedback   Gallery   Misc   OM   Pending   PhD_Theses   Publications   RGS   RadMonitor   SAS_Hardware   SAS_WS   SASv16.0   SASv16.0_Installation   SASv16.1   SASv16.1_Installation   SASv17.0   SASv17.0_Installation   SASv18.0   SASv18.0_Installation   SciSim   Simulators_other   Suggestions   Trash   Visibility   XMM-bouncing   XMM-news   XRPS   XSA   esas   incoming  

Logged in as guest

Viewing esas/47650
Full headers

From: g.ogrean@jacobs-university.de
Subject: pn-spectra ends with message "Killed"
Compose reply
Download message
Move To:
4 replies: 1 2 3 4
4 followups: 1 2 3 4

Private message: yes  no

Notes:

Notification:


Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 11:04:42 GMT
From: g.ogrean@jacobs-university.de
To: xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int
Cc: g.ogrean@jacobs-university.de
Subject: pn-spectra ends with message "Killed"
Full_Name: Georgiana Ogrean
Submission from: (NULL) (77.22.147.177)


Dear Helpdesk,

I am trying to extract spectra for the full FOV using pn-spectra in SAS 11.0.0.
Despite a bunch of warnings, it all seems to go well up to a point, and then it
suddenly says "Killed", then complains that it cannot find the spectra it was
supposed to create.

At the end of this message is the call to pn-spectra and the output (I stop
pn-spectra after I get the error).

Do you have any suggestions on how to overcome this problem?

Thank you,
Georgiana

$ pn-spectra prefix=S003 caldb=/home/georgiana/astrosoft/ccf/esas_caldb mask=1
elow=400 ehigh=7200 quad1=1 quad2=1 quad3=1 quad4=1

Task: pn-spectra 
Version: 1.0 
Date: 2010-04-27 
Author: S. L. Snowden, based on the mos-spectra code 

prefix: S003
caldb: /home/georgiana/astrosoft/ccf/esas_caldb
region: reg.txt
mask: 1
elow: 400
ehigh: 7200
pattern: 4
quad 1: 1
quad 2: 1
quad 3: 1
quad 4: 1
submode: 'PrimeFullWindow'

frmtime: 73
 
scale: 0.063
mode: ff
fwcfile: /home/georgiana/astrosoft/ccf/esas_caldb/pn-fwc-filt.fits.gz
fwcootfile: /home/georgiana/astrosoft/ccf/esas_caldb/pn-fwc-oot-filt.fits.gz
detpref: pnS003-clean.fits
detprefoot: pnS003-clean-oot.fits
Revolution Number: 2017
ccddef: &&((CCDNR == 1)||(CCDNR == 2)||(CCDNR == 3)||(CCDNR ==
4)||(CCDNR ==
5)||(CCDNR == 6)||(CCDNR == 7)||(CCDNR == 8)||(CCDNR == 9)||(CCDNR ==
10)||(CCDNR == 11)||(CCDNR == 12))
Region file exists.  Proceed with source exclusion. 
psdef: &&region(pnS003-bkg_region-sky.fits)
reg.txt not found
Will default to no additional selection
Area Selection:  
   
Attitude file already exists
   
evselect table=pnS003-clean.fits:EVENTS withfilteredset=yes expression='(PATTERN
<= 4)&&((CCDNR == 1)||(CCDNR == 2)||(CCDNR == 3)||(CCDNR ==
4)||(CCDNR ==
5)||(CCDNR == 6)||(CCDNR == 7)||(CCDNR == 8)||(CCDNR == 9)||(CCDNR ==
10)||(CCDNR == 11)||(CCDNR == 12))&&((FLAG & 0x762a097c) ==
0)&&!((DETX,DETY) IN
circle(-2200,-1110,18200))' filtertype=expression keepfilteroutput=yes
updateexposure=yes  filterexposure=yes filteredset=pnS003-corn.fits
   
evselect table=pnS003-clean-oot.fits:EVENTS withfilteredset=yes
expression='(PATTERN <= 4)&&((CCDNR == 1)||(CCDNR == 2)||(CCDNR ==
3)||(CCDNR ==
4)||(CCDNR == 5)||(CCDNR == 6)||(CCDNR == 7)||(CCDNR == 8)||(CCDNR == 9)||(CCDNR
== 10)||(CCDNR == 11)||(CCDNR == 12))&&((FLAG & 0x762a097c) ==
0)&&!((DETX,DETY)
IN circle(-2200,-1110,18200))' filtertype=expression keepfilteroutput=yes
updateexposure=yes  filterexposure=yes filteredset=pnS003-corn-oot.fits
   
Image file already exists: pnS003-obj-im.fits
   
Exposure image file already exists: pnS003-exp-im.fits
   
evselect table=pnS003-clean-oot.fits:EVENTS withfilteredset=yes
expression='(PATTERN <= 4)&&(FLAG == 0)&&(PI in
[400:7200])&&((CCDNR ==
1)||(CCDNR == 2)||(CCDNR == 3)||(CCDNR == 4)||(CCDNR == 5)||(CCDNR == 6)||(CCDNR
== 7)||(CCDNR == 8)||(CCDNR == 9)||(CCDNR == 10)||(CCDNR == 11)||(CCDNR ==
12))&&((DETX,DETY) in
BOX(-2196,-1110,16060,15510,0))&&((DETX,DETY) IN
circle(-2200,-1110,17980))&&region(pnS003-bkg_region-sky.fits)'
filtertype=expression imagebinning='imageSize' imagedatatype='Int32'
imageset=pnS003-obj-im-oot.fits squarepixels=yes ignorelegallimits=yes
withxranges=yes withyranges=yes xcolumn='X' ximagesize=900 ximagemax=48400
ximagemin=3401 ycolumn='Y' yimagesize=900 yimagemax=48400 yimagemin=3401
updateexposure=yes filterexposure=yes 
   
evselect table=pnS003-clean.fits:EVENTS withfilteredset=yes expression='(PATTERN
<= 4)&&(FLAG == 0)&&((DETX,DETY) in
BOX(-2196,-1110,16060,15510,0))&&((CCDNR ==
1)||(CCDNR == 2)||(CCDNR == 3)||(CCDNR == 4)||(CCDNR == 5)||(CCDNR == 6)||(CCDNR
== 7)||(CCDNR == 8)||(CCDNR == 9)||(CCDNR == 10)||(CCDNR == 11)||(CCDNR == 12))
&&((DETX,DETY) IN
circle(-2200,-1110,17980))&&region(pnS003-bkg_region-sky.fits)'
filtertype=expression imagebinning='imageSize' imagedatatype='Int32'
imageset=pnS003-obj-im-sp-det.fits squarepixels=yes ignorelegallimits=yes
withxranges=yes withyranges=yes xcolumn='DETX' ximagesize=780 ximagemax=19500
ximagemin=-19499 ycolumn='DETY' yimagesize=780 yimagemax=19500 yimagemin=-19499
updateexposure=yes filterexposure=yes 
   
** evselect: warning (NoWCS), No WCS information available for image column
DETX.
** evselect: warning (NoWCS), No WCS information available for image column
DETY.
evselect table=pnS003-clean.fits:EVENTS withfilteredset=yes
filtertype=expression expression='(PATTERN <= 4)&&(FLAG ==
0)&&(PI in
[400:7200])&&((CCDNR == 1)||(CCDNR == 2)||(CCDNR == 3)||(CCDNR ==
4)||(CCDNR ==
5)||(CCDNR == 6)||(CCDNR == 7)||(CCDNR == 8)||(CCDNR == 9)||(CCDNR ==
10)||(CCDNR == 11)||(CCDNR == 12))&&((DETX,DETY) in
BOX(-2196,-1110,16060,15510,0)) &&((DETX,DETY) IN
circle(-2200,-1110,17980))&&region(pnS003-bkg_region-sky.fits)'
imagebinning='imageSiz

Message of length 19011 truncated

Reply 1

Resend
From: Ignacio de la Calle <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
To: g.ogrean@jacobs-university.de
Subject: Re: pn-spectra ends with message "Killed" (PR#47650)
Date: Mon Apr  4 12:05:03 2011
Dear Georgiana,

On 24th March a patch 11.0.1 was released that fixes some problems with ESAS,
please see the release note:

http://xmm.esac.esa.int/sas/11.0.0/documentation/releasenotes/xmmsas_11.0.1.shtml

Install the patch from:
ftp://xmm.esac.esa.int/pub/sasdev/Patches_to_SAS_11.0.0/

and the corresponding ESAS CALDB that you can get from:
ftp://xmm.esac.esa.int/pub/ccf/constituents/extras/esas_caldb/

Let me know if this solves your problem.

Best regards,

Ignacio de la Calle
XMM-Newton SOC



> Submission from: (NULL) (77.22.147.177)
> 
> 
> Dear Helpdesk,
> 
> I am trying to extract spectra for the full FOV using pn-spectra in SAS
11.0.0.
> Despite a bunch of warnings, it all seems to go well up to a point, and
then
it
> suddenly says "Killed", then complains that it cannot find the spectra it
was
> supposed to create.
> 
> At the end of this message is the call to pn-spectra and the output (I
stop
> pn-spectra after I get the error).
> 
> Do you have any suggestions on how to overcome this problem?
> 
> Thank you,
> Georgiana
> 
> $ pn-spectra prefix=S003 caldb=/home/georgiana/astrosoft/ccf/esas_caldb
mask=1
> elow=400 ehigh=7200 quad1=1 quad2=1 quad3=1 quad4=1
> 
> Task: pn-spectra 
> Version: 1.0 
> Date: 2010-04-27 
> Author: S. L. Snowden, based on the mos-spectra code 
> 
> prefix: S003
> caldb: /home/georgiana/astrosoft/ccf/esas_caldb
> region: reg.txt
> mask: 1
> elow: 400
> ehigh: 7200
> pattern: 4
> quad 1: 1
> quad 2: 1
> quad 3: 1
> quad 4: 1
> submode: 'PrimeFullWindow'
> 
> frmtime: 73
>  
> scale: 0.063
> mode: ff
> fwcfile: /home/georgiana/astrosoft/ccf/esas_caldb/pn-fwc-filt.fits.gz
> fwcootfile: /home/georgiana/astrosoft/ccf/esas_caldb/pn-fwc-oot-filt.fits.gz
> detpref: pnS003-clean.fits
> detprefoot: pnS003-clean-oot.fits
> Revolution Number: 2017
> ccddef: &&((CCDNR == 1)||(CCDNR == 2)||(CCDNR == 3)||(CCDNR ==
4)||(CCDNR ==
> 5)||(CCDNR == 6)||(CCDNR == 7)||(CCDNR == 8)||(CCDNR == 9)||(CCDNR ==
> 10)||(CCDNR == 11)||(CCDNR == 12))
> Region file exists.  Proceed with source exclusion. 
> psdef: &&region(pnS003-bkg_region-sky.fits)
> reg.txt not found
> Will default to no additional selection
> Area Selection:  
>    
> Attitude file already exists
>    
> evselect table=pnS003-clean.fits:EVENTS withfilteredset=yes
expression='(PATTERN
> <= 4)&&((CCDNR == 1)||(CCDNR == 2)||(CCDNR == 3)||(CCDNR ==
4)||(CCDNR ==
> 5)||(CCDNR == 6)||(CCDNR == 7)||(CCDNR == 8)||(CCDNR == 9)||(CCDNR ==
> 10)||(CCDNR == 11)||(CCDNR == 12))&&((FLAG & 0x762a097c) ==
0)&&!((DETX,DETY)
IN
> circle(-2200,-1110,18200))' filtertype=expression keepfilteroutput=yes
> updateexposure=yes  filterexposure=yes filteredset=pnS003-corn.fits
>    
> evselect table=pnS003-clean-oot.fits:EVENTS withfilteredset=yes
> expression='(PATTERN <= 4)&&((CCDNR == 1)||(CCDNR == 2)||(CCDNR
== 3)||(CCDNR
==
> 4)||(CCDNR == 5)||(CCDNR == 6)||(CCDNR == 7)||(CCDNR == 8)||(CCDNR ==
9)||(CCDNR
> == 10)||(CCDNR == 11)||(CCDNR == 12))&&((FLAG & 0x762a097c) ==
0)&&!((DETX,DETY)
> IN circle(-2200,-1110,18200))' filtertype=expression keepfilteroutput=yes
> updateexposure=yes  filterexposure=yes filteredset=pnS003-corn-oot.fits
>    
> Image file already exists: pnS003-obj-im.fits
>    
> Exposure image file already exists: pnS003-exp-im.fits
>    
> evselect table=pnS003-clean-oot.fits:EVENTS withfilteredset=yes
> expression='(PATTERN <= 4)&&(FLAG == 0)&&(PI in
[400:7200])&&((CCDNR ==
> 1)||(CCDNR == 2)||(CCDNR == 3)||(CCDNR == 4)||(CCDNR == 5)||(CCDNR ==
6)||(CCDNR
> == 7)||(CCDNR == 8)||(CCDNR == 9)||(CCDNR == 10)||(CCDNR == 11)||(CCDNR ==
> 12))&&((DETX,DETY) in
BOX(-2196,-1110,16060,15510,0))&&((DETX,DETY) IN
> circle(-2200,-1110,17980))&&region(pnS003-bkg_region-sky.fits)'
> filtertype=expression imagebinning='imageSize' imagedatatype='Int32'
> imageset=pnS003-obj-im-oot.fits squarepixels=yes ignorelegallimits=yes
> withxranges=yes withyranges=yes xcolumn='X' ximagesize=900 ximagemax=48400
> ximagemin=3401 ycolumn='Y' yimagesize=900 yimagemax=48400 yimagemin=3401
> updateexposure=yes filterexposure=yes 
>    
> evselect table=pnS003-clean.fits:EVENTS withfilteredset=yes
expression='(PATTERN
> <= 4)&&(FLAG == 0)&&((DETX,DETY) in
BOX(-2196,-1110,16060,15510,0))&&((CCDNR
==
> 1)||(CCDNR == 2)||(CCDNR == 3)||(CCDNR == 4)||(CCDNR == 5)||(CCDNR ==
6)||(CCDNR
> == 7)||(CCDNR == 8)||(CCDNR == 9)||(CCDNR == 10)||(CCDNR == 11)||(CCDNR ==
12))
> &&((DETX,DETY) IN
circle(-2200,-1110,17980))&&r

Message of length 21741 truncated


Followup 1

Compose reply
Download message
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 21:54:48 +0200
Subject: Re: pn-spectra ends with message "Killed" (PR#47650)
From: Georgiana Ogrean <g.ogrean@jacobs-university.de>
To: Ignacio de la Calle <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
--20cf300515cace73e404a01d214f
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Dear Ignacio,

I have the same problem even after installing the patch and upgrading the
ESAS CALDB...

Best wishes,
Georgiana


On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Ignacio de la Calle
<xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>wrote:

> Dear Georgiana,
>
> On 24th March a patch 11.0.1 was released that fixes some problems with
> ESAS,
> please see the release note:
>
>
> http://xmm.esac.esa.int/sas/11.0.0/documentation/releasenotes/xmmsas_11.0.1.shtml
>
> Install the patch from:
> ftp://xmm.esac.esa.int/pub/sasdev/Patches_to_SAS_11.0.0/
>
> and the corresponding ESAS CALDB that you can get from:
> ftp://xmm.esac.esa.int/pub/ccf/constituents/extras/esas_caldb/
>
> Let me know if this solves your problem.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Ignacio de la Calle
> XMM-Newton SOC
>

--20cf300515cace73e404a01d214f
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Dear Ignacio,<br><br>I have the same problem even after installing
the patc=
h and upgrading the ESAS CALDB...<br><br>Best
wishes,<br>Georgiana<br><br><=
br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Ignacio
de la=
 Calle <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a
href=3D"mailto:xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int">xmmh=
elp@sciops.esa.int</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br>
<blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; borde=
r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">Dear
Georgiana,<b=
r>
<br>
On 24th March a patch 11.0.1 was released that fixes some problems with ESA=
S,<br>
please see the release note:<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"http://xmm.esac.esa.int/sas/11.0.0/documentation/releasenotes/xm=
msas_11.0.1.shtml" target=3D"_blank">http://xmm.esac.esa.int/sas/11.0.0/doc=
umentation/releasenotes/xmmsas_11.0.1.shtml</a><br>
<br>
Install the patch from:<br>
<a href=3D"ftp://xmm.esac.esa.int/pub/sasdev/Patches_to_SAS_11.0.0/" target=
=3D"_blank">ftp://xmm.esac.esa.int/pub/sasdev/Patches_to_SAS_11.0.0/</a><br=
>
<br>
and the corresponding ESAS CALDB that you can get from:<br>
<a href=3D"ftp://xmm.esac.esa.int/pub/ccf/constituents/extras/esas_caldb/" =
target=3D"_blank">ftp://xmm.esac.esa.int/pub/ccf/constituents/extras/esas_c=
aldb/</a><br>
<br>
Let me know if this solves your problem.<br>
<br>
Best regards,<br>
<br>
Ignacio de la Calle<br>
XMM-Newton SOC<br></blockquote></div>

--20cf300515cace73e404a01d214f--



Reply 2

Resend
From: Ignacio de la Calle <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
To: g.ogrean@jacobs-university.de
Subject: Re: pn-spectra ends with message "Killed" (PR#47650)
Date: Tue Apr  5 10:09:18 2011
Dear Georgiana,

The 'killed' message that appeared is most likely not related to the SAS 
tasks. This is the kind of message that appears when the process is killed.
It looks like something is killing the evselect process before its finished.
Where are you running SAS ? Could it be that you are running in a system
where there is a time limit or under a queue system ? 

The error that backscale issues, its because the previous evselect
has not produced the file spectrumset=pnS003-1ff.pi. As a test, you could
try and run evselect like it is bellow. You should have all the files:

evselect table=/home/georgiana/astrosoft/ccf/esas_caldb/pn-fwc-filt.fits.gz
withfilteredset=yes withspectrumset=yes expression='(PATTERN <=
4)&&(FLAG ==
0)&&((DETX,DETY) IN circle(-2200,-1110,17980))&&((DETX,DETY) in
BOX(-10241.5,7115.0,8041.5,8210.0,0)) &&((DETX,DETY) in
BOX(-2196,-1110,16060,15510,0))&&region(pnS003-bkg_region-sky.fits)'
spectrumset=pnS003-1ff.pi energycolumn=PI spectralbinsize=5 withspecranges=yes
specchannelmin=0 specchannelmax=20479 
   
Killed
backscale spectrumset=pnS003-1ff.pi badpixlocation=pnS003-clean.fits
withbadpixcorr=yes 
   
** backscale::arfgen: error (datasetCouldNotBeRead), The dataset with name
'pnS003-1ff.pi' could not be read; either it does not exist or it is in an
unrecognised format

Let me know what the output of running evselect is.

Thanks,

Ignacio de la Calle
XMM-Newton SOC


Followup 2

Compose reply
Download message
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 13:40:24 +0200
Subject: Re: pn-spectra ends with message "Killed" (PR#47650)
From: Georgiana Ogrean <g.ogrean@jacobs-university.de>
To: Ignacio de la Calle <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
--90e6ba3099408b047004a02a572f
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

> The 'killed' message that appeared is most likely not related
> to the SAS tasks. This is the kind of message that appears
> when the process is killed. It looks like something is killing
> the evselect process before its finished. Where are you
> running SAS ? Could it be that you are running in a system
> where there is a time limit or under a queue system ?

Hm, I guess it that could be... is there a way to check?

I'm running SAS on my laptop. I close all other programs
while SAS is running because otherwise the system "freezes".
Even so, mos-spectra takes about 12 hours and pn-spectra
would likely take over 24.

> As a test, you could try and run evselect like it is bellow.
> You should have all the files:
<snip>
>Let me know what the output of running evselect is.

Exactly the same as before...

georgiana@georgiana-laptop:~/Documents/work/sausage/0654030101/analysis$
evselect table=/home/georgiana/astrosoft/ccf/esas_caldb/pn-fwc-filt.fits.gz
withfilteredset=yes withspectrumset=yes expression='(PATTERN <=
4)&&(FLAG ==
0)&&((DETX,DETY) IN circle(-2200,-1110,17980))&&((DETX,DETY) in
BOX(-10241.5,7115.0,8041.5,8210.0,0)) &&((DETX,DETY) in
BOX(-2196,-1110,16060,15510,0))&&region(pnS003-bkg_region-sky.fits)'
spectrumset=pnS003-1ff.pi energycolumn=PI spectralbinsize=5
withspecranges=yes specchannelmin=0 specchannelmax=20479
Killed

Georgiana

--90e6ba3099408b047004a02a572f
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

&gt; The &#39;killed&#39; message that appeared is most likely not
related =
<br>&gt; to the SAS tasks. This is the kind of message that appears
<br>&gt=
; when the process is killed. It looks like something is killing
<br>&gt; t=
he evselect process before its finished. Where are you <br>
&gt; running SAS ? Could it be that you are running in a
system<br>&gt; whe=
re there is a time limit or under a queue system ?<br><br>Hm, I
guess it th=
at could be... is there a way to check?<br><br>I&#39;m running
SAS on my la=
ptop. I close all other programs <br>
while SAS is running because otherwise the system &quot;freezes&quot;.
<br>=
Even so, mos-spectra takes about 12 hours and pn-spectra <br>would likely
t=
ake over 24.<br><br>&gt; As a test, you could try and run
evselect like it =
is bellow. <br>
&gt; You should have all the
files:<br>&lt;snip&gt;<br>&gt;Let me know what=
 the output of running evselect is.<br><br>Exactly the same as
before...<br=
><br>georgiana@georgiana-laptop:~/Documents/work/sausage/0654030101/analysi=
s$ evselect table=3D/home/georgiana/astrosoft/ccf/esas_caldb/pn-fwc-filt.fi=
ts.gz withfilteredset=3Dyes withspectrumset=3Dyes expression=3D&#39;(PATTER=
N &lt;=3D 4)&amp;&amp;(FLAG =3D=3D 0)&amp;&amp;((DETX,DETY)
IN circle(-2200=
,-1110,17980))&amp;&amp;((DETX,DETY) in
BOX(-10241.5,7115.0,8041.5,8210.0,0=
)) &amp;&amp;((DETX,DETY) in
BOX(-2196,-1110,16060,15510,0))&amp;&amp;regio=
n(pnS003-bkg_region-sky.fits)&#39; spectrumset=3DpnS003-1ff.pi energycolumn=
=3DPI spectralbinsize=3D5 withspecranges=3Dyes specchannelmin=3D0 specchann=
elmax=3D20479<br>
Killed<br><br>Georgiana<br>

--90e6ba3099408b047004a02a572f--



Reply 3

Resend
From: Ignacio de la Calle <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
To: g.ogrean@jacobs-university.de
Subject: Re: pn-spectra ends with message "Killed" (PR#47650)
Date: Tue Apr  5 11:54:09 2011
Dear Georgiana,

Could you run again the evselect task with the -V 6 option
and send me the output? We can see if that gives us a clue.

Thanks,

Ignacio de la Calle
XMM-Newton SOC

> --90e6ba3099408b047004a02a572f
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> 
>> The 'killed' message that appeared is most likely not related
>> to the SAS tasks. This is the kind of message that appears
>> when the process is killed. It looks like something is killing
>> the evselect process before its finished. Where are you
>> running SAS ? Could it be that you are running in a system
>> where there is a time limit or under a queue system ?
> 
> Hm, I guess it that could be... is there a way to check?
> 
> I'm running SAS on my laptop. I close all other programs
> while SAS is running because otherwise the system "freezes".
> Even so, mos-spectra takes about 12 hours and pn-spectra
> would likely take over 24.
> 
>> As a test, you could try and run evselect like it is bellow.
>> You should have all the files:
> <snip>
>>Let me know what the output of running evselect is.
> 
> Exactly the same as before...
> 
> georgiana@georgiana-laptop:~/Documents/work/sausage/0654030101/analysis$
> evselect table=/home/georgiana/astrosoft/ccf/esas_caldb/pn-fwc-filt.fits.gz
> withfilteredset=yes withspectrumset=yes expression='(PATTERN <=
4)&&(FLAG ==
> 0)&&((DETX,DETY) IN
circle(-2200,-1110,17980))&&((DETX,DETY) in
> BOX(-10241.5,7115.0,8041.5,8210.0,0)) &&((DETX,DETY) in
> BOX(-2196,-1110,16060,15510,0))&&region(pnS003-bkg_region-sky.fits)'
> spectrumset=pnS003-1ff.pi energycolumn=PI spectralbinsize=5
> withspecranges=yes specchannelmin=0 specchannelmax=20479
> Killed
> 
> Georgiana
> 
> --90e6ba3099408b047004a02a572f
> Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
> 
> > The 'killed' message that appeared is most likely not related =
> <br>> to the SAS tasks. This is the kind of message that appears
<br>>=
> ; when the process is killed. It looks like something is killing
<br>> t=
> he evselect process before its finished. Where are you <br>
> > running SAS ? Could it be that you are running in a
system<br>> whe=
> re there is a time limit or under a queue system ?<br><br>Hm, I
guess it th=
> at could be... is there a way to check?<br><br>I'm running SAS
on my la=
> ptop. I close all other programs <br>
> while SAS is running because otherwise the system "freezes". <br>=
> Even so, mos-spectra takes about 12 hours and pn-spectra <br>would
likely t=
> ake over 24.<br><br>> As a test, you could try and run
evselect like it =
> is bellow. <br>
> > You should have all the files:<br><snip><br>>Let
me know what=
>  the output of running evselect is.<br><br>Exactly the same as
before...<br=
>><br>georgiana@georgiana-laptop:~/Documents/work/sausage/0654030101/analysi=
> s$ evselect table=3D/home/georgiana/astrosoft/ccf/esas_caldb/pn-fwc-filt.fi=
> ts.gz withfilteredset=3Dyes withspectrumset=3Dyes expression=3D'(PATTER=
> N <=3D 4)&&(FLAG =3D=3D 0)&&((DETX,DETY) IN
circle(-2200=
> ,-1110,17980))&&((DETX,DETY) in
BOX(-10241.5,7115.0,8041.5,8210.0,0=
> )) &&((DETX,DETY) in
BOX(-2196,-1110,16060,15510,0))&&regio=
> n(pnS003-bkg_region-sky.fits)' spectrumset=3DpnS003-1ff.pi energycolumn=
> =3DPI spectralbinsize=3D5 withspecranges=3Dyes specchannelmin=3D0
specchann=
> elmax=3D20479<br>
> Killed<br><br>Georgiana<br>
> 
> --90e6ba3099408b047004a02a572f--
> 
> 


Followup 3

Compose reply
Download message
From: "Ogrean, Georgiana Ancuta" <g.ogrean@jacobs-university.de>
To: Ignacio de la Calle <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
Subject: RE: pn-spectra ends with message "Killed" (PR#47650)
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 12:16:30 +0000
Dear Ignacio,

Below is the output of evselect with the -V 6 option.

Georgiana

georgiana@georgiana-laptop:~/Documents/work/sausage/0654030101/analysis$
evselect table=/home/georgiana/astrosoft/ccf/esas_caldb/pn-fwc-filt.fits.gz
withfilteredset=yes withspectrumset=yes expression='(PATTERN <=
4)&&(FLAG == 0)&&((DETX,DETY) IN
circle(-2200,-1110,17980))&&((DETX,DETY) in
BOX(-10241.5,7115.0,8041.5,8210.0,0)) &&((DETX,DETY) in
BOX(-2196,-1110,16060,15510,0))&&region(pnS003-bkg_region-sky.fits)'
spectrumset=pnS003-1ff.pi energycolumn=PI spectralbinsize=5 withspecranges=yes
specchannelmin=0 specchannelmax=20479 -V 6
evselect:- Executing (routine): evselect
table=/home/georgiana/astrosoft/ccf/esas_caldb/pn-fwc-filt.fits.gz
filteredset=filtered.fits withfilteredset=yes keepfilteroutput=yes
flagcolumn=EVFLAG flagbit=-1 destruct=yes dssblock='' expression='(PATTERN <=
4)&&(FLAG == 0)&&((DETX,DETY) IN
circle(-2200,-1110,17980))&&((DETX,DETY) in
BOX(-10241.5,7115.0,8041.5,8210.0,0)) &&((DETX,DETY) in
BOX(-2196,-1110,16060,15510,0))&&region(pnS003-bkg_region-sky.fits)'
filtertype=expression cleandss=no updateexposure=yes filterexposure=yes
writedss=yes blockstocopy='' attributestocopy='' energycolumn=PI zcolumn=WEIGHT
zerrorcolumn=EWEIGHT withzerrorcolumn=no withzcolumn=no ignorelegallimits=no
imageset=image.fits xcolumn=RAWX ycolumn=RAWY ximagebinsize=1 yimagebinsize=1
squarepixels=no ximagesize=600 yimagesize=600 imagebinning=imageSize ximagemin=1
ximagemax=640 withxranges=no yimagemin=1 yimagemax=640 withyranges=no
imagedatatype=Real64 withimagedatatype=no raimagecenter=0 decimagecenter=0
withcelestialcenter=no withimageset=no spectrumset=pnS003-1ff.pi
spectralbinsize=5 specchannelmin=0 specchannelmax=20479 withspecranges=yes
withspectrumset=yes rateset=rate.fits timecolumn=TIME timebinsize=1 timemin=0
timemax=1000 withtimeranges=no maketimecolumn=no makeratecolumn=no
withrateset=no histogramset=histo.fits histogramcolumn=TIME histogrambinsize=1
histogrammin=0 histogrammax=1000 withhistoranges=no withhistogramset=no  -V 6
evselect:- evselect (evselect-3.61)  [xmmsas_20110223_1801-11.0.0] started: 
2011-04-05T11:57:19.000
evselect:- Cloning dataset ... 
Killed

________________________________________
From: Ignacio de la Calle [xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int]
Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 1:54 PM
To: Ogrean, Georgiana Ancuta
Subject: Re: pn-spectra ends with message "Killed" (PR#47650)

Could you run again the evselect task with the -V 6 option
and send me the output? We can see if that gives us a clue.



Reply 4

Resend
From: Ignacio de la Calle <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
To: g.ogrean@jacobs-university.de
Subject: Re: pn-spectra ends with message "Killed" (PR#47650)
Date: Tue Apr  5 12:43:56 2011
Dear Georgiana,

The file pn-fwc-filt.fits.gz is one of the largest in the caldb database.
evselect makes a a copy of the file in memory. So it looks like the computer
cannot cope with this. You could try using the SAS env variable
SAS_MEMORY_MODEL
and set it to low. This will create the copy on disk. If this does not help,
you are going to have to try and run in another computer with more memory.

Have a look here:

http://xmm.esac.esa.int/external/xmm_user_support/documentation/sas_usg/USG/node20.html

Let me know if this works.

Thanks,

Ignacio de la Calle
XMM-Newton SOC

> Dear Ignacio,
> 
> Below is the output of evselect with the -V 6 option.
> 
> Georgiana
> 
> georgiana@georgiana-laptop:~/Documents/work/sausage/0654030101/analysis$
> evselect table=/home/georgiana/astrosoft/ccf/esas_caldb/pn-fwc-filt.fits.gz
> withfilteredset=yes withspectrumset=yes expression='(PATTERN <=
4)&&(FLAG ==
> 0)&&((DETX,DETY) IN
circle(-2200,-1110,17980))&&((DETX,DETY) in
> BOX(-10241.5,7115.0,8041.5,8210.0,0)) &&((DETX,DETY) in
> BOX(-2196,-1110,16060,15510,0))&&region(pnS003-bkg_region-sky.fits)'
> spectrumset=pnS003-1ff.pi energycolumn=PI spectralbinsize=5
withspecranges=yes
> specchannelmin=0 specchannelmax=20479 -V 6
> evselect:- Executing (routine): evselect
> table=/home/georgiana/astrosoft/ccf/esas_caldb/pn-fwc-filt.fits.gz
> filteredset=filtered.fits withfilteredset=yes keepfilteroutput=yes
> flagcolumn=EVFLAG flagbit=-1 destruct=yes dssblock='' expression='(PATTERN
<=
> 4)&&(FLAG == 0)&&((DETX,DETY) IN
circle(-2200,-1110,17980))&&((DETX,DETY) in
> BOX(-10241.5,7115.0,8041.5,8210.0,0)) &&((DETX,DETY) in
> BOX(-2196,-1110,16060,15510,0))&&region(pnS003-bkg_region-sky.fits)'
> filtertype=expression cleandss=no updateexposure=yes filterexposure=yes
> writedss=yes blockstocopy='' attributestocopy='' energycolumn=PI
zcolumn=WEIGHT
> zerrorcolumn=EWEIGHT withzerrorcolumn=no withzcolumn=no
ignorelegallimits=no
> imageset=image.fits xcolumn=RAWX ycolumn=RAWY ximagebinsize=1
yimagebinsize=1
> squarepixels=no ximagesize=600 yimagesize=600 imagebinning=imageSize
ximagemin=1
> ximagemax=640 withxranges=no yimagemin=1 yimagemax=640 withyranges=no
> imagedatatype=Real64 withimagedatatype=no raimagecenter=0 decimagecenter=0
> withcelestialcenter=no withimageset=no spectrumset=pnS003-1ff.pi
> spectralbinsize=5 specchannelmin=0 specchannelmax=20479 withspecranges=yes
> withspectrumset=yes rateset=rate.fits timecolumn=TIME timebinsize=1
timemin=0
> timemax=1000 withtimeranges=no maketimecolumn=no makeratecolumn=no
> withrateset=no histogramset=histo.fits histogramcolumn=TIME
histogrambinsize=1
> histogrammin=0 histogrammax=1000 withhistoranges=no withhistogramset=no  -V
6
> evselect:- evselect (evselect-3.61)  [xmmsas_20110223_1801-11.0.0] started:

> 2011-04-05T11:57:19.000
> evselect:- Cloning dataset ... 
> Killed
> 
> ________________________________________
> From: Ignacio de la Calle [xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int]
> Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 1:54 PM
> To: Ogrean, Georgiana Ancuta
> Subject: Re: pn-spectra ends with message "Killed" (PR#47650)
> 
> Could you run again the evselect task with the -V 6 option
> and send me the output? We can see if that gives us a clue.
> 
> 


Followup 4

Compose reply
Download message
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2011 11:46:55 +0200
Subject: Re: pn-spectra ends with message "Killed" (PR#47650)
From: Georgiana Ogrean <g.ogrean@jacobs-university.de>
To: Ignacio de la Calle <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
--000e0cd6a8f287941d04a03cdfde
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Dear Ignacio,

Setting SAS_MEMORY_MODEL to low gives me the same error I was getting for
MOS:

http://xmm2.esac.esa.int/xmmhelp?findid=47620

** evselect: error (FITSIO), FITS error 112: cannot write to readonly file
cannot open compressed file with WRITE access (mem_compress_open)
filtered.fits
failed to find or open the following file: (ffopen)
filtered.fits

However, moving the data on the university computer did the trick, and I was
able to run the evselect command there.

Thank you for your help,
Georgiana


On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Ignacio de la Calle
<xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>wrote:

> Dear Georgiana,
>
> The file pn-fwc-filt.fits.gz is one of the largest in the caldb database.
> evselect makes a a copy of the file in memory. So it looks like the
> computer
> cannot cope with this. You could try using the SAS env variable
> SAS_MEMORY_MODEL
> and set it to low. This will create the copy on disk. If this does not
> help,
> you are going to have to try and run in another computer with more memory.
>
> Have a look here:
>
>
> http://xmm.esac.esa.int/external/xmm_user_support/documentation/sas_usg/USG/node20.html
>
> Let me know if this works.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ignacio de la Calle
> XMM-Newton SOC
>

--000e0cd6a8f287941d04a03cdfde
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Dear Ignacio,<br><br>Setting SAS_MEMORY_MODEL to low gives me the
same erro=
r I was getting for MOS:<br><br><a
href=3D"http://xmm2.esac.esa.int/xmmhelp=
?findid=3D47620">http://xmm2.esac.esa.int/xmmhelp?findid=3D47620</a><br><br=
>** evselect: error (FITSIO), FITS error 112: cannot write to readonly file=
<br>
cannot open compressed file with WRITE access
(mem_compress_open)<br>filter=
ed.fits<br>failed to find or open the following file:
(ffopen)<br>filtered.=
fits<br><br>However, moving the data on the university computer did
the tri=
ck, and I was able to run the evselect command there.<br>
<br>Thank you for your
help,<br>Georgiana<br><br><br><div class=3D"gmail_qu=
ote">On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 2:43 PM, Ignacio de la Calle <span
dir=3D"ltr">=
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int"
target=3D"_blank">xmmhelp@sci=
ops.esa.int</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br>

<blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; borde=
r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">Dear
Georgiana,<b=
r>
<br>
The file pn-fwc-filt.fits.gz is one of the largest in the caldb database.<b=
r>
evselect makes a a copy of the file in memory. So it looks like the compute=
r<br>
cannot cope with this. You could try using the SAS env variable<br>
SAS_MEMORY_MODEL<br>
and set it to low. This will create the copy on disk. If this does not help=
,<br>
you are going to have to try and run in another computer with more memory.<=
br>
<br>
Have a look here:<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"http://xmm.esac.esa.int/external/xmm_user_support/documentation/=
sas_usg/USG/node20.html" target=3D"_blank">http://xmm.esac.esa.int/external=
/xmm_user_support/documentation/sas_usg/USG/node20.html</a><br>
<br>
Let me know if this works.<br>
<div><br>
Thanks,<br>
<br>
Ignacio de la Calle<br>
XMM-Newton SOC<br>
</div></blockquote></div>

--000e0cd6a8f287941d04a03cdfde--


Up to top level
AO15   AO16   AO17   AO18   AO19   Backgrounds   Calibration   Conference   Data   Docs   EPICMOS   EPICpn   Feedback   Gallery   Misc   OM   Pending   PhD_Theses   Publications   RGS   RadMonitor   SAS_Hardware   SAS_WS   SASv16.0   SASv16.0_Installation   SASv16.1   SASv16.1_Installation   SASv17.0   SASv17.0_Installation   SASv18.0   SASv18.0_Installation   SciSim   Simulators_other   Suggestions   Trash   Visibility   XMM-bouncing   XMM-news   XRPS   XSA   esas   incoming  

Logged in as guest


Please make your (short) question the subject of your request!


Web interface using JitterBug ... back to the XMM home page