Up to top level
AO15   AO16   AO17   AO18   Backgrounds   Calibration   Conference   Data   Docs   EPICMOS   EPICpn   Feedback   Gallery   Misc   OM   Pending   PhD_Theses   Publications   RGS   RadMonitor   SAS_Hardware   SAS_WS   SASv16.0   SASv16.0_Installation   SASv16.1   SASv16.1_Installation   SASv17.0   SASv17.0_Installation   SciSim   Simulators_other   Suggestions   Trash   Visibility   XMM-bouncing   XMM-news   XRPS   XSA   esas   incoming  

Logged in as guest

Viewing Visibility/73257
Full headers

From: imh@soton.ac.uk
Subject: The dead zone
Compose reply
Download message
Move To:
4 replies: 1 2 3 4
2 followups: 1 2

Private message: yes  no

Notes:

Notification:


Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 10:38:20 GMT
From: imh@soton.ac.uk
To: xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int
CC: imh@soton.ac.uk
Subject: The dead zone
Full_Name: Ian McHardy
Submission from: (NULL) (152.78.193.34)


I know about the tool where you can input a particular position on the sky and
it will give you the maximum visibility for that position. However is there a
tool which shows the whole sky with maximum visibility time contours superposed,
and which one could move with the years?  So you can get a general idea of which
areas to avoid? I've seen such plots, but don't know where they come from.
Thanks.


Reply 1

Resend
From: Nora Loiseau <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
To: imh@soton.ac.uk
Subject: Re: The dead zone (PR#73257)
Date: Wed Nov 20 13:45:25 2013
Dear Dr. McHardy,

I see your point, such all sky visibility tool would be
very useful. I will investigate if we can provide something 
like that, and will come back to you.

Best regards,

Nora

> Submission from: (NULL) (152.78.193.34)
> 
> 
> I know about the tool where you can input a particular position on the sky
and
> it will give you the maximum visibility for that position. However is there
a
> tool which shows the whole sky with maximum visibility time contours
superposed,
> and which one could move with the years?  So you can get a general idea of
which
> areas to avoid? I've seen such plots, but don't know where they come from.
> Thanks.
> 
> ----
Dr. Nora Loiseau
XMM-Newton User Support Group


Reply 2

Resend
From: Nora Loiseau <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
To: imh@soton.ac.uk
Subject: Re: The dead zone (PR#73257)
Date: Wed Nov 20 15:00:38 2013
Dear Dr. McHardy,

you can find the interactive visibility map for the AO13 cycle at:
http://xmm.esac.esa.int/external/xmm_science/AO13/XMM_Visibility/index.shtml

To have an idea on how this changes along the years please see the plots at:
http://xmm.esac.esa.int/external/xmm_user_support/documentation/uhb/skyvis.html

Best regards,

Nora

> 
> 
> I know about the tool where you can input a particular position on the sky
and
> it will give you the maximum visibility for that position. However is there
a
> tool which shows the whole sky with maximum visibility time contours
superposed,
> and which one could move with the years?  So you can get a general idea of
which
> areas to avoid? I've seen such plots, but don't know where they come from.
> Thanks.
> 
> ----
Dr. Nora Loiseau
XMM-Newton User Support Group


Followup 1

Compose reply
Download message
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 15:53:48 +0000
From: Ian McHardy <i.m.mchardy@soton.ac.uk>
To: Nora Loiseau <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
Cc: <i.m.mchardy@soton.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: The dead zone (PR#73257)
Thanks Nora. Those lower plots are just what I was after.

Incidentally, I see that they were made by an X-ray astronomer who has 
never used an optical telescope as the RA scale goes the opposite way to 
the way it goes on the sky. Lie on your back, with your head to the 
north, and stare at the sky and larger RA is on the left. Richard 
Mushotzky once famously published a paper with the same error.

Best wishes,
Ian


On 20/11/13 15:00, Nora Loiseau wrote:
> Dear Dr. McHardy,
>
> you can find the interactive visibility map for the AO13 cycle at:
> http://xmm.esac.esa.int/external/xmm_science/AO13/XMM_Visibility/index.shtml
>
> To have an idea on how this changes along the years please see the plots
at:
> http://xmm.esac.esa.int/external/xmm_user_support/documentation/uhb/skyvis.html
>
> Best regards,
>
> Nora
>
>>
>> I know about the tool where you can input a particular position on the
sky
> and
>> it will give you the maximum visibility for that position. However is
there a
>> tool which shows the whole sky with maximum visibility time contours
> superposed,
>> and which one could move with the years?  So you can get a general idea
of
> which
>> areas to avoid? I've seen such plots, but don't know where they come
from.
>> Thanks.
>>
>> ----
> Dr. Nora Loiseau
> XMM-Newton User Support Group
>
> This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee
or addressees only. The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying
(either in whole or in part) of its content is not permitted. If you received
this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system.
Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by the sender.
>
> Please consider the environment before printing this email.
>



Reply 3

Resend
From: Nora Loiseau <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
To: i.m.mchardy@soton.ac.uk
Subject: Re: The dead zone (PR#73257)
Date: Wed Nov 20 16:19:44 2013
Dear Dr. McHardy,

> Incidentally, I see that they were made by an X-ray astronomer who has 
> never used an optical telescope as the RA scale goes the opposite way to 
> the way it goes on the sky. Lie on your back, with your head to the 
> north, and stare at the sky and larger RA is on the left. Richard 
> Mushotzky once famously published a paper with the same error.

Thanks for pointing this!, I will comment that to my colleague X-ray astronomer
...

Best regards,

Nora


> 
> On 20/11/13 15:00, Nora Loiseau wrote:
>> Dear Dr. McHardy,
>>
>> you can find the interactive visibility map for the AO13 cycle at:
>> http://xmm.esac.esa.int/external/xmm_science/AO13/XMM_Visibility/index.shtml
>>
>> To have an idea on how this changes along the years please see the
plots at:
>> http://xmm.esac.esa.int/external/xmm_user_support/documentation/uhb/skyvis.html
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Nora
>>
>>>
>>> I know about the tool where you can input a particular position on
the sky
>> and
>>> it will give you the maximum visibility for that position. However
is there
a
>>> tool which shows the whole sky with maximum visibility time
contours
>> superposed,
>>> and which one could move with the years?  So you can get a general
idea of
>> which
>>> areas to avoid? I've seen such plots, but don't know where they
come from.
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> ----
>> Dr. Nora Loiseau
>> XMM-Newton User Support Group
>>
>> This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the
addressee
or
> addressees only. The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or
copying
> (either in whole or in part) of its content is not permitted. If you
received
> this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your
system.
> Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by the
sender.
>>
>> Please consider the environment before printing this email.
>>
> 
> ----
Dr. Nora Loiseau
XMM-Newton User Support Group


Reply 4

Resend
From: Pedro M. Rodriguez Pascual <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
To: i.m.mchardy@soton.ac.uk
Subject: Re: The dead zone (PR#73257)
Date: Thu Nov 21 07:52:19 2013
Dear Prof. McHardy, 

thanks for your comments. 

Just a note for future readers of this thread: there is nothing wrong with the
referred figures; another choice of orientation/projection for the sky map
representation might be more helpful, clear or popular, but the figures are
correct as they are. 

Sincerely,

Pedro

> Thanks Nora. Those lower plots are just what I was after.
> 
> Incidentally, I see that they were made by an X-ray astronomer who has 
> never used an optical telescope as the RA scale goes the opposite way to 
> the way it goes on the sky. Lie on your back, with your head to the 
> north, and stare at the sky and larger RA is on the left. Richard 
> Mushotzky once famously published a paper with the same error.
> 
> Best wishes,
> Ian
> 
> 


Followup 2

Compose reply
Download message
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 10:53:21 +0000
From: Ian McHardy <i.m.mchardy@soton.ac.uk>
To: "Pedro M. Rodriguez Pascual" <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
Cc: <i.m.mchardy@soton.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: The dead zone (PR#73257)
Yes indeed. The values that you can read off from a particular RA and 
Dec are, I am sure, perfectly correct. It is just that the projection is 
a mirror image of the normal images, or photographs, that any instrument 
would make of the sky.

Best regards,
Ian


On 21/11/13 07:52, Pedro M. Rodriguez Pascual wrote:
> Dear Prof. McHardy,
>
> thanks for your comments.
>
> Just a note for future readers of this thread: there is nothing wrong with
the
> referred figures; another choice of orientation/projection for the sky map
> representation might be more helpful, clear or popular, but the figures are
> correct as they are.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Pedro
>
>> Thanks Nora. Those lower plots are just what I was after.
>>
>> Incidentally, I see that they were made by an X-ray astronomer who has
>> never used an optical telescope as the RA scale goes the opposite way
to
>> the way it goes on the sky. Lie on your back, with your head to the
>> north, and stare at the sky and larger RA is on the left. Richard
>> Mushotzky once famously published a paper with the same error.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Ian
>>
>>
>
> This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee
or addressees only. The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying
(either in whole or in part) of its content is not permitted. If you received
this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system.
Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by the sender.
>
> Please consider the environment before printing this email.
>


Up to top level
AO15   AO16   AO17   AO18   Backgrounds   Calibration   Conference   Data   Docs   EPICMOS   EPICpn   Feedback   Gallery   Misc   OM   Pending   PhD_Theses   Publications   RGS   RadMonitor   SAS_Hardware   SAS_WS   SASv16.0   SASv16.0_Installation   SASv16.1   SASv16.1_Installation   SASv17.0   SASv17.0_Installation   SciSim   Simulators_other   Suggestions   Trash   Visibility   XMM-bouncing   XMM-news   XRPS   XSA   esas   incoming  

Logged in as guest


Please make your (short) question the subject of your request!


Web interface using JitterBug ... back to the XMM home page