Up to top level
AO15   AO16   AO17   AO18   AO19   Backgrounds   Calibration   Conference   Data   Docs   EPICMOS   EPICpn   Feedback   Gallery   Misc   OM   Pending   PhD_Theses   Publications   RGS   RadMonitor   SAS_Hardware   SAS_WS   SASv16.0   SASv16.0_Installation   SASv16.1   SASv16.1_Installation   SASv17.0   SASv17.0_Installation   SASv18.0   SASv18.0_Installation   SciSim   Simulators_other   Suggestions   Trash   Visibility   XMM-bouncing   XMM-news   XRPS   XSA   esas   incoming  

Logged in as guest

Viewing RGS/79156
Full headers

From: J.Mao@Sron.nl
Subject: RGS spectrum with multiple source regions defined by xdspregions
Compose reply
Download message
Move To:
1 replies: 1
0 followups:

Private message: yes  no

Notes:

Notification:


Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 08:52:10 GMT
From: J.Mao@Sron.nl
To: xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int
CC: J.Mao@Sron.nl
Subject: RGS spectrum with multiple source regions defined by xdspregions
Full_Name: Junjie Mao
Submission from: (NULL) (192.87.213.212)


Dear XMM-SAS help desk,

I am working on the RGS data for extended source, groups/clusters of galaxies,
and I am
trying to extract spectra from two rectangular source regions, say,
xdspregions="-1.7 -0.3 0.3 1.7.. The aim is to exclude the central brightest
region, which suffers from contamination of non thermal component from BCG/AGN.

However, I am encountering the following problem. It turns out the spectrum I
got was only counts from one source region (i.e. the first half [-1.7, -0.3] of
the expression in xdspregions), the counts from the second source region was not
included. I looked into the source list file and found that there was an
extension of RGS1_SRC3_SPATIAL (the first source region) and another one for
RGS1_SRC4_SPATIAL (the second source region, verified by extracting the region
via tool cxctods9 and plot it with ds9 in dispersion - cross dispersion space).
Note that in the SRCLIST extension I had 3 rows (PROPOSAL, ONAXIS and USER, the
3rd is introduce by myself), as expected. This also prevents me to use parameter
like procsrcsexpr=.INDEX==3 & INDEX==4. since the source with index=4 is not
available.

So what went wrong and how do I get the a spectrum with counts from both source
regions I defined?

Example:
ObsID: 0114120101 of M87
SAS version: sas (gui-1.52.9) [xmmsas_20160201_1833-15.0.0]
The routine I've runned is the following:
       rgsproc withsrc=yes srclabel=USER srcra=187.704 srcdec=12.393 xpsfincl=99
xpsfexcl=99 xdspregions=.-1.7 0.0 0.0 1.7. xdspbackground=.-2.5 -2.0.
withbackground=yes

The GTI filter is left out, since it does not affect the results here. The
xdspregions is slightly different from the one I mentioned at the beginning of
this letter, so that I can compare the results with another run of rgsproc with
xdspregions=.-1.7 1.7..

Thank you very much in advance,
All the best,
Junjie


Reply 1

Resend
From: Rosario Gonzalez Riestra <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
To: J.Mao@Sron.nl
Subject: Re: RGS spectrum with multiple source regions defined by xdspregions (PR#79156)
Date: Tue Jun 28 12:52:45 2016
Dear Junjie Mao

> I am working on the RGS data for extended source, groups/clusters of
galaxies,
> and I am
> trying to extract spectra from two rectangular source regions, say,
> xdspregions="-1.7 -0.3 0.3 1.7". The aim is to exclude the central
brightest
> region, which suffers from contamination of non thermal component from
BCG/AGN.
> 
> However, I am encountering the following problem. It turns out the spectrum
I
> got was only counts from one source region (i.e. the first half [-1.7,
-0.3]
of
> the expression in xdspregions), the counts from the second source region
was
not
> included. 

If you define several rectangular regions, you will get several separate
extraction regions and, when you eventually extract the spectra, several
separate spectra (in this case, two). There is no way to merge them: there will
be as many spectra as extraction regions defined.

> I looked into the source list file and found that there was an
> extension of RGS1_SRC3_SPATIAL (the first source region) and another one
for
> RGS1_SRC4_SPATIAL (the second source region, verified by extracting the
region
> via tool cxctods9 and plot it with ds9 in dispersion - cross dispersion
space).

That's right

> Note that in the SRCLIST extension I had 3 rows (PROPOSAL, ONAXIS and USER,
the
> 3rd is introduce by myself), as expected. This also prevents me to use
parameter
> like procsrcsexpr=.INDEX==3 & INDEX==4. since the source with index=4
is not
> available.

This is true. You need to add sources to the list in order to extract the
spectra.


> 
> So what went wrong and how do I get the a spectrum with counts from both
source
> regions I defined?
> 

I am sending you in a separate message from my personal account the detailed 
instructions of how to use this option.


Regards,

Rosario Gonzalez-Riestra
XMM-SOC User Support Group



Up to top level
AO15   AO16   AO17   AO18   AO19   Backgrounds   Calibration   Conference   Data   Docs   EPICMOS   EPICpn   Feedback   Gallery   Misc   OM   Pending   PhD_Theses   Publications   RGS   RadMonitor   SAS_Hardware   SAS_WS   SASv16.0   SASv16.0_Installation   SASv16.1   SASv16.1_Installation   SASv17.0   SASv17.0_Installation   SASv18.0   SASv18.0_Installation   SciSim   Simulators_other   Suggestions   Trash   Visibility   XMM-bouncing   XMM-news   XRPS   XSA   esas   incoming  

Logged in as guest


Please make your (short) question the subject of your request!


Web interface using JitterBug ... back to the XMM home page