Up to top level
AO15   AO16   AO17   AO18   AO19   Backgrounds   Calibration   Conference   Data   Docs   EPICMOS   EPICpn   Feedback   Gallery   Misc   OM   Pending   PhD_Theses   Publications   RGS   RadMonitor   SAS_Hardware   SAS_WS   SASv16.0   SASv16.0_Installation   SASv16.1   SASv16.1_Installation   SASv17.0   SASv17.0_Installation   SASv18.0   SASv18.0_Installation   SciSim   Simulators_other   Suggestions   Trash   Visibility   XMM-bouncing   XMM-news   XRPS   XSA   esas   incoming  

Logged in as guest

Viewing EPICpn/36985
Full headers

From: sbogdanov@cfa.harvard.edu
Subject: EPIC-pn timing mode image
Compose reply
Download message
Move To:
2 replies: 1 2
2 followups: 1 2

Private message: yes  no

Notes:

Notification:


Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:24:46 GMT
From: sbogdanov@cfa.harvard.edu
To: xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int
Cc: sbogdanov@cfa.harvard.edu
Subject: EPIC-pn timing mode image
Full_Name: Slavko Bogdanov
Submission from: (NULL) (128.103.11.188)


I have two questions regarding the 1-D image produced in the EPIC-pn timing
mode.

1. I notice in my data that there are several bright "streaks" across image
along the readout direction. What are they? I assume that they are instrument
related features since they seem to be very short duration, only span one
column, and have no counterparts in the MOS images. Could these streaks also be
present in the columns where the target source is found and thus affect the
source emission?

2. The background level seems to be non-uniform along the imaging (RAWX i.e.
non-readout direction). As one can imagine, this makes it difficult to obtain a
reliable background for use in spectroscopic and timing analyses. Is there a
recommended procedure for extracting an accurate background for this observing
mode?

Thanks,

Slavko Bogdanov


Reply 1

Resend
From: Nora Loiseau <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
To: sbogdanov@cfa.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: EPIC-pn timing mode image (PR#36985)
Date: Thu Jul 17 12:37:45 2008
Dear Dr Bogdanov,

could you inform us with is the Observation ID that you are analysing for 
us to try to reproduce your problem? Is it your data: ID= 0502290101 ?

Best regards,

Nora

> Submission from: (NULL) (128.103.11.188)
> 
> 
> I have two questions regarding the 1-D image produced in the EPIC-pn
timing
> mode.
> 
> 1. I notice in my data that there are several bright "streaks" across
image
> along the readout direction. What are they? I assume that they are
instrument
> related features since they seem to be very short duration, only span one
> column, and have no counterparts in the MOS images. Could these streaks
also
be
> present in the columns where the target source is found and thus affect
the
> source emission?
> 
> 2. The background level seems to be non-uniform along the imaging (RAWX
i.e.
> non-readout direction). As one can imagine, this makes it difficult to
obtain
a
> reliable background for use in spectroscopic and timing analyses. Is there
a
> recommended procedure for extracting an accurate background for this
observing
> mode?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Slavko Bogdanov
> 
> ----
Dr. Nora Loiseau
XMM-Newton User Support Group


Followup 1

Compose reply
Download message
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 09:27:46 -0400 (EDT)
From: Slavko Bogdan Bogdanov <sbogdano@cfa.harvard.edu>
To: Nora Loiseau <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
Cc: sbogdanov@cfa.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: EPIC-pn timing mode image (PR#36985)
Dear Nora,

Yes, that is the dataset in question.

Thanks,

-Slavko



On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Nora Loiseau wrote:

> Dear Dr Bogdanov,
>
> could you inform us with is the Observation ID that you are analysing for
> us to try to reproduce your problem? Is it your data: ID= 0502290101 ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Nora
>
>> Submission from: (NULL) (128.103.11.188)
>>
>>
>> I have two questions regarding the 1-D image produced in the EPIC-pn
timing
>> mode.
>>
>> 1. I notice in my data that there are several bright "streaks" across
image
>> along the readout direction. What are they? I assume that they are
instrument
>> related features since they seem to be very short duration, only span
one
>> column, and have no counterparts in the MOS images. Could these streaks
also
> be
>> present in the columns where the target source is found and thus affect
the
>> source emission?
>>
>> 2. The background level seems to be non-uniform along the imaging (RAWX
i.e.
>> non-readout direction). As one can imagine, this makes it difficult to
obtain
> a
>> reliable background for use in spectroscopic and timing analyses. Is
there a
>> recommended procedure for extracting an accurate background for this
> observing
>> mode?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Slavko Bogdanov
>>
>> ----
> Dr. Nora Loiseau
> XMM-Newton User Support Group
>
> ================================================================================================
> This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee
or addressees only. The
> unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or
in part) of its content
> is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from
your system and notify
> the sender. E-mails can be altered and their integrity cannot be
guaranteed. ESA shall not be liable
> for any e-mail if modified.
> =================================================================================================
>



Followup 2

Compose reply
Download message
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 09:40:55 -0400 (EDT)
From: Slavko Bogdan Bogdanov <sbogdano@cfa.harvard.edu>
To: Nora Loiseau <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
Cc: sbogdanov@cfa.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: EPIC-pn timing mode image (PR#36985)
  This message is in MIME format.  The first part should be readable text,
  while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.

---559023410-959030623-1216302036=:2117
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII; FORMAT=flowed
Content-ID: <Pine.SOC.4.64.0807170940471.2117@cfa0.cfa.harvard.edu>


Here is a jpg of the EPIC-pn raw image showing the streaks in the image.

Thanks,

-Slavko


On Thu, 17 Jul 2008, Nora Loiseau wrote:

> Dear Dr Bogdanov,
>
> could you inform us with is the Observation ID that you are analysing for
> us to try to reproduce your problem? Is it your data: ID= 0502290101 ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Nora
>
>> Submission from: (NULL) (128.103.11.188)
>>
>>
>> I have two questions regarding the 1-D image produced in the EPIC-pn
timing
>> mode.
>>
>> 1. I notice in my data that there are several bright "streaks" across
image
>> along the readout direction. What are they? I assume that they are
instrument
>> related features since they seem to be very short duration, only span
one
>> column, and have no counterparts in the MOS images. Could these streaks
also
> be
>> present in the columns where the target source is found and thus affect
the
>> source emission?
>>
>> 2. The background level seems to be non-uniform along the imaging (RAWX
i.e.
>> non-readout direction). As one can imagine, this makes it difficult to
obtain
> a
>> reliable background for use in spectroscopic and timing analyses. Is
there a
>> recommended procedure for extracting an accurate background for this
> observing
>> mode?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Slavko Bogdanov
>>
>> ----
> Dr. Nora Loiseau
> XMM-Newton User Support Group
>
> ================================================================================================
> This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee
or addressees only. The
> unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or
in part) of its content
> is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please delete it from
your system and notify
> the sender. E-mails can be altered and their integrity cannot be
guaranteed. ESA shall not be liable
> for any e-mail if modified.
> =================================================================================================
>
---559023410-959030623-1216302036=:2117
Content-Type: IMAGE/JPEG; NAME=j0030_epic-pn.jpg
Content-Transfer-Encoding: BASE64
Content-ID: <Pine.SOC.4.64.0807170940360.2117@cfa0.cfa.harvard.edu>
Content-Description: 
Content-Disposition: ATTACHMENT; FILENAME=j0030_epic-pn.jpg
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Message of length 68995 truncated


Reply 2

Resend
From: Nora Loiseau <xmmhelp@sciops.esa.int>
To: sbogdanov@cfa.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: EPIC-pn timing mode image (PR#36985)
Date: Fri Jul 18 15:09:20 2008
Dear Dr. Bogdanov,

the "streaks" are low energy noise, therefore, as stated in the Epic Calibration
Status document (see
http://xmm2.esac.esa.int/external/xmm_sw_cal/calib/index.shtml), "for timing
mode only singles+doubles should be selected for a spectrum and the fit
restricted to energies > 0.5 keV to avoid the increased noise."
At this energy level it should not be so problematic to select a good
background region.

Best regards,

Nora
----
Dr. Nora Loiseau
XMM-Newton User Support Group

Up to top level
AO15   AO16   AO17   AO18   AO19   Backgrounds   Calibration   Conference   Data   Docs   EPICMOS   EPICpn   Feedback   Gallery   Misc   OM   Pending   PhD_Theses   Publications   RGS   RadMonitor   SAS_Hardware   SAS_WS   SASv16.0   SASv16.0_Installation   SASv16.1   SASv16.1_Installation   SASv17.0   SASv17.0_Installation   SASv18.0   SASv18.0_Installation   SciSim   Simulators_other   Suggestions   Trash   Visibility   XMM-bouncing   XMM-news   XRPS   XSA   esas   incoming  

Logged in as guest


Please make your (short) question the subject of your request!


Web interface using JitterBug ... back to the XMM home page