Up to top level
AO15   AO16   AO17   AO18   AO19   Backgrounds   Calibration   Conference   Data   Docs   EPICMOS   EPICpn   Feedback   Gallery   Misc   OM   Pending   PhD_Theses   Publications   RGS   RadMonitor   SAS_Hardware   SAS_WS   SASv16.0   SASv16.0_Installation   SASv16.1   SASv16.1_Installation   SASv17.0   SASv17.0_Installation   SASv18.0   SASv18.0_Installation   SciSim   Simulators_other   Suggestions   Trash   Visibility   XMM-bouncing   XMM-news   XRPS   XSA   esas   incoming  

Logged in as guest

Viewing Calibration/13082
Full headers

From: jaturong sukonthachat <jaturong.sukonthachat@uibk.ac.at>
Subject: 1D PSF
Compose reply
Download message
Move To:
2 replies: 1 2
2 followups: 1 2

Private message: yes  no

Notes:

Notification:


Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:51:17 +0200
From: jaturong sukonthachat <jaturong.sukonthachat@uibk.ac.at>
Subject: 1D PSF
To: Matthias Ehle <xmmhelp@xmm.vilspa.esa.es>
Hi  Matthias,

I have a question to ask you about a 1D PSF. I want to use it to 
convolve with my surface brightness profile before fittings. I know that 
I can get a 2D PSF from a calview task but how I can get a 1D PSF.  
Could you please suggest me ??

By the way, I am still wating for your last conclusion about the last 
problem.

Cheers,
Loy. :)


Matthias Ehle wrote:

>Hi Loy,
>
>just to let you know: our arfgen expert is still looking at your report
>and we will let you know when he reached a conclusion.
>
>In parallel, you might want to contact A. Read with your problem as well.
>As he generated the blank fields and analysis scripts he might have a
>suggestion to you: http://www.sr.bham.ac.uk/xmm3/
>
>Sorry that in the moment I have no clear answer for you.
>
>Cheers,
>  Matthias
>
>
>  
>



Reply 1

Resend
From: Matthias Ehle <xmmhelp@xmm.vilspa.esa.es>
To: jaturong.sukonthachat@uibk.ac.at
Subject: Re: 1D PSF (PR#13082)
Date: Tue Jun 15 09:58:03 2004
Hi Loy,

repeating the reply to helpdesk question #7567:

you may find a full description of the PSF, with some analytical
approximations, in the EPIC calibration status document (and
references therein):

      http://xmm.vilspa.esa.es/docs/documents/CAL-TN-0018-2-0.pdf

Regards,
  Matthias

On your last problem: I see that Andy Read contacted you already with some
suggestions. Did you try to compute the BACKSCAL value manually?


Followup 1

Compose reply
Download message
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:26:51 +0200
From: jaturong sukonthachat <jaturong.sukonthachat@uibk.ac.at>
Subject: Re: 1D PSF (PR#13082)
To: Matthias Ehle <xmmhelp@xmm.vilspa.esa.es>
Hi Matthias,

I have tried to calculate the BACKSCAL value manually but it took a very 
long time to do that because I had a lot of regions for extracting 
spectrums. So that I want to use a BACKSCAL value of source to put on a  
BACKSCAL value of a medium-blankfield becuase I have removed point 
sources  and extracted spectrum from the same regions from both of them. 
This is not correct for a different bad pixels from both of them but I 
think there are a very small diffences.

Is this concept all right ?  Why does this problem occure (I just want 
to understand it) ?

Thanks for your help. :)

Cheers,
Loy. :)



Matthias Ehle wrote:

>Hi Loy,
>
>repeating the reply to helpdesk question #7567:
>
>you may find a full description of the PSF, with some analytical
>approximations, in the EPIC calibration status document (and
>references therein):
>
>      http://xmm.vilspa.esa.es/docs/documents/CAL-TN-0018-2-0.pdf
>
>Regards,
>  Matthias
>
>On your last problem: I see that Andy Read contacted you already with some
>suggestions. Did you try to compute the BACKSCAL value manually?
>
>  
>




Reply 2

Resend
From: Matthias Ehle <xmmhelp@xmm.vilspa.esa.es>
To: jaturong.sukonthachat@uibk.ac.at
Subject: Re: 1D PSF (PR#13082)
Date: Thu Jun 17 13:39:13 2004
Hi Loy,

you wrote: 
> I have tried to calculate the BACKSCAL value manually but it took a very 
> long time to do that because I had a lot of regions for extracting 
> spectrums. So that I want to use a BACKSCAL value of source to put on a  
> BACKSCAL value of a medium-blankfield becuase I have removed point 
> sources  and extracted spectrum from the same regions from both of them. 
> This is not correct for a different bad pixels from both of them but I 
> think there are a very small diffences.
> 
> Is this concept all right ? 

Yes, I think the differences due to bad pixel differences in your source and
background spectra should indeed be minor. Me too I would use the same
BACKSCAL value both for the source and background files.

> Why does this problem occure (I just want 
> to understand it) ?
> 

Andy Read summarized already the general problem (see helpdesk message
#12877 which was sent to you as well): The selections must be stored
correctly in the DSS (data sub-space) header keywords of the spectra.
For complicated extraction areas (like the ones you are using) unfortunately 
this does not yet work.

To find further info on these limitiations, you might also want to 
have a look at other helpdesk question (searching e.g. for 'BACKSCAL')
and our SAS watchout page, at URL
http://xmm.vilspa.esa.es/sas/documentation/watchout/

Cheers,
  Matthias


Followup 2

Compose reply
Download message
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:02:42 +0200
From: jaturong sukonthachat <jaturong.sukonthachat@uibk.ac.at>
Subject: Re: 1D PSF (PR#13082)
To: Matthias Ehle <XMMHELP@xmm.vilspa.esa.es>
Hi Matthias,

Thank you very much for your help and sugestions.

Cheers,
Loy. :)


Matthias Ehle wrote:

>Hi Loy,
>
>you wrote: 
>  
>
>>I have tried to calculate the BACKSCAL value manually but it took a very

>>long time to do that because I had a lot of regions for extracting 
>>spectrums. So that I want to use a BACKSCAL value of source to put on a 

>>BACKSCAL value of a medium-blankfield becuase I have removed point 
>>sources  and extracted spectrum from the same regions from both of them.

>>This is not correct for a different bad pixels from both of them but I 
>>think there are a very small diffences.
>>
>>Is this concept all right ? 
>>    
>>
>
>Yes, I think the differences due to bad pixel differences in your source and
>background spectra should indeed be minor. Me too I would use the same
>BACKSCAL value both for the source and background files.
>
>  
>
>>Why does this problem occure (I just want 
>>to understand it) ?
>>
>>    
>>
>
>Andy Read summarized already the general problem (see helpdesk message
>#12877 which was sent to you as well): The selections must be stored
>correctly in the DSS (data sub-space) header keywords of the spectra.
>For complicated extraction areas (like the ones you are using) unfortunately

>this does not yet work.
>
>To find further info on these limitiations, you might also want to 
>have a look at other helpdesk question (searching e.g. for 'BACKSCAL')
>and our SAS watchout page, at URL
>http://xmm.vilspa.esa.es/sas/documentation/watchout/
>
>Cheers,
>  Matthias
>
>  
>



Up to top level
AO15   AO16   AO17   AO18   AO19   Backgrounds   Calibration   Conference   Data   Docs   EPICMOS   EPICpn   Feedback   Gallery   Misc   OM   Pending   PhD_Theses   Publications   RGS   RadMonitor   SAS_Hardware   SAS_WS   SASv16.0   SASv16.0_Installation   SASv16.1   SASv16.1_Installation   SASv17.0   SASv17.0_Installation   SASv18.0   SASv18.0_Installation   SciSim   Simulators_other   Suggestions   Trash   Visibility   XMM-bouncing   XMM-news   XRPS   XSA   esas   incoming  

Logged in as guest


Please make your (short) question the subject of your request!


Web interface using JitterBug ... back to the XMM home page